Sheila Gilbey, from The Abbots House in Charmouth, shows us how to create this Black Bean and Chickpea Veggie Chilli. An alternative vegan recipe for the cauliflower pancakes is available at the bottom of this post. Prep time: 10 mins, cook time: 30 mins, total time: 40 mins. Serves four.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 yellow pepper, seeded and diced
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1-2 sticks celery, diced
1 large or 2 small carrots, coarsely grated
1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
1tbsp ground coriander
1tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
1 400g can of chopped tomatoes
1 vegetable stock cube
1 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 400g can can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 tbsp frozen sweetcorn
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp molasses
juice from ½ lime
salt & pepper
Serve with choice of the following:
extra lime slices
chopped spring onion
grated cheddar cheese (for non-vegans)
long grain rice
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and stir. Cook until the onion is slightly translucent then add the garlic, celery and peppers. Stir and cook until soft (about 5-8 minutes). Then add the carrot, chilli and all the spices cooking gently to bring out the flavours.
2. Dissolve the stock cube in 200 ml hot water, then add to the pan with the canned tomatoes,and simmer gently.
3. Stir, then add the black beans, chickpeas, sweetcorn, and season generously with salt and pepper.
4. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 25 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add a squeeze of lime, molasses and the vinegar, then taste and adjust seasonings adding salt and pepper to taste.